Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chapter 3

Him

I feel the truck slow down and enter a graveled driveway. Apparently, my driveway.  She puts the car to a complete stop. Too sudden. My head continues to spin, but awareness is downing on me.  Bit by bit.  I squint. Yes, it is my house I see close by.

Gazing around the stillness of the night, I wonder if I slept through the entire trip.  After all, it’s almost an hour from the bar.  I do remember taking glimpses at her.  Quick shots of an angel in my head.  Oh God! Almost an entire bottle of tequila and all I can think about is her.

I find it funny though.  That she drove me home? The ironies of life.  The very reason that got me this drunk in the first place. Her. If only she knew. If only I was brave enough to tell. I wish.

Silently, I support myself on her to get out of the truck.  Silently.  Mostly, because I don’t trust myself to form a coherent sentence at the moment.  But secretly, because if this is a dream, I don’t want to wake up.  Not yet.  Being so close to her nears heaven for me.

I follow her down the driveway and up to the porch stairs.  Intoxicated.  Yes, alcohol may have something to do with it.  But it is not all.  Her scent is exhilarating.  Her hair sways near my face and again, all I can think about is her.  All I can smell is her.  Cherries and cinnamon.

We stop before the massive wood-steel double door.  She spaces the distance between us.  I sigh.  She looks worried.  I give an unspoken curse for not being able to react. “Keys?”  I hear her ask.  That sweet voice.  She stares at me.  Those endearing eyes.  Keys!!  I shudder.

I remember vaguely putting them in my jacket earlier tonight.  Vaguely being the key word.  “In my jacket pocket.” I say not sure if it’s coming out as a statement or a question.  Shame. One that is quickly forgotten when I feel her hands roam my sides.  I lean.

Once again, she is close to me.  So close.  Being completely honest, I’m still not sure of what is going on.  Is she really here?  Or is my mind playing tricks on me?  I bend our dreary truth for a moment and imagine us together.  Coming home.  Together.

I take in her warmth.  Her touch.  My body instinctively responds to our unexpected proximity state.  I can’t do anything to prevent it.  She owns me, unknowingly.  Accidentally.  Or is it?  I bow my face even closer to hers.

The idea of kissing her luscious lips invades my mind. Right here. Right now.  No consequences measured.  She stops me.  I groan.  Disappointed.  Hurt.  Reality kicks me in the gut.  She finds the keys.  Dreamland seems more appealing now.  I remise.

I open my eyes.  What an odd night!  I discover myself lying on my couch.  Not a sight of her.  Did I dream it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment